Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Joe D's Agile Eight

In Joe D's Agile Eight, Joe D gives eight exercises to increase hip mobility.  As a strength coach this is a huge problem often faced.  Just today one of my golfers told me his trainer told him he needed to improve hip mobility.  It is important to have the skills necessary to help the athletes.
1. Foam Roll IT Band
2. Foam Roll Adductors
3. Glute/Piriformis Myofacial release w/ static stretch on tennis ball or foam roller
4. Rollovers into "V" sits
5. Fire hydrant Circles (10 forward, 10 Backward)
6. Groiners
7. Double Leg Groiners
8. Static Hip flexor stretch

Here at FAU most of these "Agile 8" are included into the athletes warm-up.  I also feel that the hurdle duck-unders are good for opening up the hips and increasing mobility.  Having the athletes do these exercises everyday makes them part of the routine and helps keep their mobility in the hips. 

I didn't discover the foam rolling until this past semester and I feel as though it is a highly effective method.  When I rolled out my IT bands for the first time it was extreamly painful.  Hip mobility is one of my own areas of weakness and one of the things I am most trying to improve in my physical condition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment