Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How Not to Warm Up

In "How Not to Warm Up", by Nick Tumminello, some popular warm-up methods are shattered by science.  Some of these don'ts were very surprising.
Scorpion Twist Stretch:  I love to do scorpions, and I have been doing them forever.  Science claims that this exercise places "stress on the spinal facet joints".  Although the science recommends that these not be performed, I think that these can be done safely by the experienced athlete.  I do not think that I will totally stop performing this exercise.
Supermans: I was surprised to learn that "current research has shown that the superman exercise and several of its variations have little or no benefit on back strength and posture".  I have always done superman holds and raises in gymnastics.
I think that a lot of warm up techniques have developed without the science.  As science continues to play a larger role in sport, I think that the exercises performed will be less and less.  Gymnastics teams use to statically stretch for half an hour prior to practices, but they now warm up dynamically.  I am good friends with a few gymnastics coaches and captains, and they have been changing and adjusting their programs.  Stretching still plays a larger role in gymnastics than most sports because of the huge demand for flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment