Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Internship Experience

So far I am enjoying my time in the FAU strength and conditioning department.  I was really excited to find out that I will be working with Men's basketball and Men's Golf.  Although I feel that Men's basketball is a huge responsibility, I am excited for this challenge.  I think that being fully responsible for men's golf is going to be a great experience.  In the gym, the be all end all is the result of the exercise.  In bodybuilding you see the body change and adapt as you design your program.  Arnold once described himself as an artist.  He compared himself to a sculptor.  The same goes when you are training for sport.  You set goals and you watch yourself attain those goals.  Benchmarking is one way to see this progression.  You also see the results on the field.  There is nothing better than watching something of your own design be a success.  I plan on coming up with a very progressive challenging program for the golf team.  Although I know that it is just golf, that does not belittle the program at all.  I have been doing my research and I have already learned a great deal about the strength philosophy used in golf.
So far at FAU I have done a lot of recording.  I was happy that I received the responsibility of body comp.  I enjoyed becoming very consistent and fluent with the skin calipers.  I am also becoming better with working with the teams.  I feel that half the battle is gaining the confidence in the gym.  I have always been a little timid when entering a new gym atmosphere.  It is hard to coach people who nothing about you.  Back at Temple, everyone knew me and everyone came to me for advice.  Now I am in a new program and am surrounded by new people.  I am the new guy.  I feel that once all the athletes know who I am and what  I am capable of, that they will trust me as their coach.  I feel that I have a lot to offer and that I can be a great asset to the FAU program.

No comments:

Post a Comment