Saturday, January 8, 2011

Assignment 1

 10 Things I have recently learned:

1.      
Although I thought that I was training everything in the weight room, I have realized that I don’t train grip strength.  I have never really thought about the importance of training grip strength.  During my pulling exercises I often stop because my grip gives out rather than the targeted muscles.  An article from thefitcast.com explains how both “farmer caries” and towel pull-ups” are good for grip strength.  I am going to try to begin to incorporate some grip strength exercise into my routine.
2.    
   In a video titled, “ARM TRAINING: Advanced Multi-Contraction Methods” from the website t-nation.com I learned that when you are doing a unilateral movement (example: one arm preacher curls) you always want the opposite leg forward.
3.      
In a video titled, “ARM TRAINING: Advanced Multi-Contraction Methods” from the website t-nation.com I learned that occlusion depletes oxygen, increases metabolic waste and increases the release of growth factors in muscles.  This is a huge benefit gained through performing isometric exercises.
4.     
  An article titled, Functional Hypertrophy by Todd Wilson, from dieselcrew.com of discusses the difference between functional and non-functional hypertrophy.  I have always had a feeling that something like this was true.   If you have ever talked to a bodybuilder, you may notice that they are not that eager to tell you their 1RMs. They are huge athletes, but they don’t seem proportionally strong.  This article tells how there are two types of hypertrophy and that one type is beneficial to strength and the other is actually detrimental to strength.  The high volume style workout performed by bodybuilders creates hypertrophy to slow twitch muscle fibers rather than fast twitch muscle fibers.  These slow twitch fibers create friction with the fast twitch fibers….slowing them down and decreasing speed and power.  I found this very interesting.  Classically we relate muscle size to muscular strength.  
5.      
Wrist strength is something that is important for many sports.  In gymnastics it is particularly crucial.  In an article titled, Armwrestling—Pulling Big 1 by Jim Smith, CSCS, I learned some new wrist exercises.  One exercise that I am going to teach to my gymnast friends is the “thick rope pull-ups”. 
6.    
   On a list of things titled, “20 things everyone who lifts should know”, it describes creatine as a “staple supplement” in the fitness world.  I did not know that it had become so commonly used.  I have personally never been a fan of it.  In several talks with nutritionists and dieticians I have learned that there is little research behind any supplement found on the shelf at GNC.  Personal experience with these supplements may be very positive, but I am interested in the science behind the supplementation.  I also know that there is more protein toxicity occurring than we tend to realize.  I can only imagine where young lifters are going to go wrong with the creatine.  What I have noticed recently is that creatine is very easy to find these days.  During my early years in high school I never saw creatine, and not I can find it at WalMart.
7.      
On johnberardi.com he gives some tips.  One of these tips is to eat more protein.  He suggests that this is imperative for changing body composition.  I found this interesting.  People in public health tell us that the average American gets more protein than they need.  This Doctor believes that “everybody needs more protein”.
8.      
An article, titled “Red Drop Theory and Talking to Nine Year Olds” by .  This theory uses the example of a glass of water and a drop of red dye.  One drop a day will not immediately turn the water red.  The water will dilute the dye for the first several days.  Over time the entire glass of water will be red.  This is used as an analogy for fitness and the body.  The article tells how “99 percent of the people will never get started on their dreams because they think their dreams are going to just happen” and that realizing this gives us “a huge competitive advantage over them”.  Our glasses will become red, because we know that it just takes time.  I think this theory is a good analogy.
9.       
 In an article titled “Gym Class Core” by Jeremy Freisch (sbcoachescollege.com) it tells how “Crawling engages virtually all of the muscles of the body, from the arches of your feet to your abdominal and neck muscles, all of which are used in the process of moving your body forward across the floor.  Arm, chest, and back muscles are utilized in pulling the arms forward and then pulling the body forward. Quads, hips and hamstrings are worked during the leg movement.” The two go on to highlight that, aside from the military; hardly anyone has utilized a crawling movement since the age of one”   You never tend to think of the physical activity involved in crawling.  Perhaps crawling should be included in more training programs?
10. 
an article from sbcoachescollege.com  titled, “Squats: Superior to Leg Presses for Muscle Hypertrophy and Athletic Prowess by Josh Bryant”,  I learned that the leg press in not more safe than doing squats.  Although a person may be able to push more weight on the leg press, the leg press is manufactured for the “average person” and is not specific to any one individual.  Despite what people tend to assume, the leg press is not safer than the squat machine.


2. Short Term Professional Goals
                1. Become more knowledgeable with Power Exercises
                2. Successfully perform my duties as a FAU intern
                3. Learn and become confident as a strength coach
                4. Expand my knowledge of alternate exercises and preventative exercises used in S&C
    5. Learn sport specific exercises and programs for all sports.  I want to become better at training athletes outside of my own sport.

3. Long Term Professional Goals
                1. Get my Masters in Strength and Conditioning
                                a. Complete my internship successfully
  b. Attain 3 letters of recommendation
                                c. Get and assistantship
                                d. Continue to expand my knowledge and expertise
        e. Apply what I learn in my internship to my future education and work with other programs
        f. Become fully confident in myself
                2.  Become a head strength coach at the college level
                                a. Get my CSCS certification
                                b. Continue my education
                                c. Network and get to know other professionals
                                d. Keep up with current literature in the field
                                e. Build my resume and continue my blog

1 comment:

  1. Sam,

    Great looking blog! What is your strength/fitness goal for this semester?

    ReplyDelete