Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sled Drags


Sled dragging is something that I had little experience with prior to my work with FAU.  The first time I tried sled dragging, I was surprised at how challenging it actually was.  With the athletes at FAU I have found that sled dragging helps athletes recover after squatting.  I have also learned how sled drags are good for establishing GPP (general physical preparedness). 
            My first impressions of sled work were not that great.  I didn’t like them.  I felt that there were better ways to condition athletes and establish a good GPP.  After trying the drags and learning the many different variations that can be performed with a sled, I quickly became a fan.  They are cost effective and very versatile. 
            I recently began having my golf team do sled work.  They are just getting out of season and I am hitting them with the conditioning.  They have responded well so far.  Since athletes often get tired of the usual stuff, sled work makes them feel good.  Although the athletes are pushing themselves, they get a sense of pride over conquering the sled.  In some senses it makes a golfer feel like a football player.       
            In “Endless Sled Dragging Variations That Will Dramatically Improve Your Performance”, an article by Zach Even, I learned of all the following sled drag variations:
Pull throughs with a split rope, 1 arm rows with a split rope, forward drag with arms behind back, rows to chest with split rope, sumo walks, forward walks with arms extended in front of you…etc….etc. 
The list goes on and on.  It is only limited by the creativity of the individual.  This is why sleds are so great.  You are working and conditioning your athletes and you can always keep it new. 
Explosive work can be done with the sleds.  A benefit to this is that there is no eccentric phase and there is very low impact on the body.  There are not many low impact explosive exercises.  There is also a quicker healing time due to the low impact.  Any and every strength program should include sled drags. 

No comments:

Post a Comment