Sunday, April 10, 2011

Networking

Networking is one of the most important parts of any professional’s career.  I remember when I was a freshman in college; one of the first things they told me was to start networking.  When I was a sophomore I took a trip to the corporate wellness center in the Comcast building of Philadelphia.  When I was there they advice I was given was to “start networking!!”  My feeling is that college gives you a special kind of networking.  In college you become close friends with people of any and all professions.  Within Kinesiology there are several people who I would love to work with or go into business with.  This is a type of networking that is unique to college.  Since these people were your roommates or classmates, you know there background and work ethic.
Outside your own personal realm of friends is the entire professional world.  If you are a normal everyday person, (who is not well connected) like myself, than you need to begin networking and establishing some type of recognition with the different professionals out there.  Being an intern at FAU has helped me to do just that.  At FAU there are all different kinds of opportunities.  I now know head strength coaches and many different people in the field of strength and conditioning.  My internship experience has been unique in the fact that I was also exposed to the private side of the industry.  I have not only established good friends, but people who may be integral to some career move in my future.
This blog is another great tool.  Expressing my thought and ideas helps other professionals get to know what I am about.  When I contact a coach I will encourage them to check out this blog.  The internet has totally changed how things are done and how we are able to promote ourselves.  Networking is essential in the world today.  Some of the greatest people in the world never get the opportunity they deserve because they don’t know how to network.

No comments:

Post a Comment